"People need a compass. For adepts, that compass is Sumeragi."
—Nova , Azure Striker Gunvolt
The Sumeragi Group (皇神（スメラギ）グループ; Sumegami [Sumeragi] guruupu; written as "Heavenly Emperor" but read as "Emperor"), often shortened to just Sumeragi, is a massive conglomerate that controls the power companies, the media, space development, military technology and national defence of the island nation of Japan. Seemingly functioning as a oligarchy with a complex internal hierarchy, Sumeragi's overwhelming influence virtually renders the power of the actual government miniscule at best, essentially making the Sumeragi Group Japan's de-facto ruling body.
Sumeragi serves as the main antagonist group of Azure Striker Gunvolt.
Ever since the Heian period (794-1185), when the group that would become its roots was founded, Sumeragi has been involved with people who possess supernatural abilities, like the mystics and shamans attached to the Tetrad (4th) and Quinary (5th) waves of the Lifewave who were quite prevalent during that era.
In the modern day, Sumeragi evolved into a powerful corporation that would come to dominate virtually everything about Japan, with the legitimate government becoming little more than a mere puppet. During this time period, Adepts would come into existence. Whereas many other countries waged war against Adepts, seeing only a threat, Sumeragi saw an opportunity. As much Septima manifested as a kind of energy, Sumeragi publicly touted an extreme anti-Adept agenda, whilst privately performing experiments on captured Adepts, trying to exploit Septima as an alternative energy source. At some point, they attempted to recreate the Septima of the first known Adept: Azure Thunderclap, the power to control electrons. This project resulted in three noteworthy individuals. First Asimov, a subject who accepted the Septima, but later broke out, forming the anti-Sumeragi group QUILL. Then Nova Tsukuyomi, a young boy who, whilst unable to bond with Azure Thunderclap, did go on to match with Psychokinesis, another powerful Septima, and would eventually become one of Sumeragi's highest ranked officers. Finally, "Gunvolt", an unnamed child who would be the only "true" success, yet would be broken out by Asimov. After this, Sumeragi would abandon Project Gunvolt.
Soon after, Sumeragi would come to know of a unique Septima known as The Muse, which would cause Adepts to resonate and become stronger, making them easier to track. Originally belonging to the daughter of Dr. Kamizono, the Septima was implemented into a girl named Joule, who's power manifested into a woman called Lumen, who was marketed as a virtual pop idol. Overseeing the entirety of "Project Muse" was none other than Nova, now one of Sumeragi's highest ranking officers, who's ultimate goal was to use Lumen to control Adepts worldwide, and bring about world peace.
Plot Role Edit
Azure Striker Gunvolt Edit
At the beginning of the game, Joule is freed by now QUILL agent Gunvolt, prompting Sumeragi to begin looking for her. During this time, Gunvolt manages to kill The Sumeragi Seven.
Eventually, Sumeragi manages to track down the muse and recapture her, allowing Project Muse to continue. Unfortunately, Gunvolt heads to the orbital station Firmament and once again frees her, resulting in the deaths of the newly revived Sumeragi Seven, as well as Nova himself, and the failure of Project Muse, sending the Sumeragi Group into a chaotic state.
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 Edit
As a result of the catastrophic failure of Project Muse, the Sumeragi Group found itself losing a massive amount of money, due to all the resources poured into the project. In addition to this, Nova's death crippled the nation's defense system, allowing the Adept supremacist group Eden to enter the country and wreak complete havoc.
Sumeragi would continue to face losses thanks to Eden, including having several weapons and robots like the Plasma Legion stolen and their reputation being completely destroyed due to Teseo leaking videos of their human experiments.
Sumeragi Swordsmen Edit
The Sumeragi Swordsmen, or just Swordsmen, are Adepts who have pledged their loyalty to the Sumeragi Group and it's nation, serving as it's elite officers. The Swordsmen are named so because they use Glaives, devices designed by Sumeragi so they can control an Adept's Septima and restrict its usage.
In return, the Adepts who agree to this placed in the upper ranks of Sumeragi's hierarchy. Only seven Swordsmen are known, The Sumeragi Seven, led by Nova, who is admired and respected by all Sumeragi's Swordsmen.
The Sumeragi SevenEdit
The Sumeragi Seven are a battalion of seven powerful Swordsmen that directly serve under the leadership of Nova, having personally recruited most of them himself. However, they do not necessarily work together as an official unit, and each generally go about their own duties, though Nova has on occasion rallied them all together to serve him.
Originally, Nova only had five Adepts working for him, however, Sumeragi prisoners and test subjects Elise and Stratos were transferred to his command during the final phase of Project Muse. It is unknown how exactly Nova got Elise to align herself with him, as she refuses to tell.
The Sumeragi Seven serve as the main bosses of Azure Striker Gunvolt.
Sumeragi Adept Defence Task ForceEdit
The Sumeragi Adept Defence Task Force is a task force specialized in fighting Adepts. The exact specifics of how this group functions is unknown, however, it is known that the force is headed by Nova. It's unknown if any of Nova's Swordsmen served in this group.
Sumeragi Infantry Edit
Sumeragi Infantry or Sumeragi Soldiers are the main frontline forces of Sumeragi. They are comprised of humans whose mission is to find, capture, or kill Adepts (if necessary), and to maintain peace and order in the island nation of Japan. In addition to their security roles, they are deployed on the front lines in order to neutralize threats caused by QUILL, Eden, or Non-Sumeragi Adepts.
They are divided into five types: Standard Gunners, Flame Gunners, Launchers, Grenades/Squad Leaders, and Assassins.
Known members of the Sumeragi Group Edit
- Three Unnamed Officers - CEOs (presumably)
- Nova Tsukuyomi "The Mighty" - Adept Defence Task Force leader, military lieutenant, Project Muse executive
- Romeo - Officer, torturer
- Dr. Kamizono - Scientist
- The Sumeragi Seven
- Viper "The Burning Wrath" - Biochem Plant supervisor
- Elise "The Eternal Envy" - Former prisoner, necromancer
- Stratos "The Gluttonous Fly" - Former prisoner/test subject
- Merak "The Slothful Conjurer" - Private army commander, tech/weapons developer
- Jota "The Prideful Silhouette" - Military officer, UTU Media Tower supervisor
- Carrera "The Magnetic Avarice" - Adept hunter, datastore guard
- Zonda "The Lustful Mirage" - Adept hunter, Eden spy
- Sumeragi comes from the old Japanese word for "emperor".
- The Sumeragi Group holds features several Biblical references:
- Sumeragi's space elevator is named "Babel" after the biblical tower of the same name. Nova himself is also known as "The Babel Master". In the original Japanese version, the elevator is known as "Heaven's Inverted Spear", derived from Japanese mythology.
- Sumeragi's file number in the QUILL database is 666, the number of the beast.
- The seven Sumeragi Swordsmen each represent one of the seven deadly sins, as well as an animal based off the sins.
- Viper represents wrath and is based off a unicorn.
- Elise represents envy and is based off a snake.
- Stratos represents gluttony and is based off flies.
- Merak represents sloth and is based off a grizzly bear.
- Jota represents pride and is based off a peacock.
- Carrera represents greed and is based off a hedgehog.
- Zonda represents lust and is based off a scorpion.