"Light, become one with me!!"
—Jota, Azure Striker Gunvolt
Jota, "The Prideful Silhouette", also known in Japan as "Silhouette Pride", Jota (傲慢なる残光（シルエットプライド）イオタ, shiruetto puraido, Iota; Silhouette Pride translating to "Arrogant Afterglow"), is a member of The Sumeragi Seven, a group of Adepts whom serve under Nova, and an antagonist in Azure Striker Gunvolt.
Descended from a long line of soldiers, Jota originally served in the military, however became disillusioned with them after witnessing how ineffective they were against Adepts, promptly joining the Sumeragi Group. He has an affinity for the Lightspeed Septima, which allows him to control photons and manipulate light to perform high speed movements.
English Website Description Edit
Jota is the Adept responsible for protecting the UTU Media Tower, Sumeragi’s massive communication tower used for broadcasting their propaganda all across the nation.
He possesses the Septimal power known as "Lightspeed," which allows him to attack his foes with very powerful lasers. Formerly part of the military,
Jota abandoned his military career and joined Sumeragi with the belief that joining them would be the only way to truly bring peace and restore order to the nation.
Jota is a teenager with cyan, somewhat spiky hair, and green eyes, as well as a large scar on the left side of his face. He wears a black Sumeragi officers uniform with gold and green highlights, a white shirt underneath, a blue tie and a pair of brown boots. Numerous artwork depicts him wielding a katana.
In his Weaponized form, Jota gains black eyes with green irises and his hair becomes more spiky and turns a light green. His scar also turns green. He wears black and grey armour with green highlights. His feet also turn into jets. On his back is a white ring with detachable spearheads that also double as lasers.
Representing the sin pride, Jota is serious, stoic and formal, never seen smiling or joking about. He is rather arrogant, boasting of his speed and battle prowess during his fight, dubbing himself "Sumeragi's Shining Sentinel", and looks down on others greatly, belittling his opponents for how slow they are compared to him (claiming he is "as fast as light" while his opponents are "slow as sound"). His own slogan is “Soldiers honor Godly speed”. However, despite his obsession with speed, he despises hurriedly drawing to conclusions.
Jota is also very patriotic, joining Sumeragi with the belief that only they could bring peace to the nation, and is also fiercely loyal to Nova, who is the only person who's presence Jota humbles himself in, and spends much of his time promoting Nova's ideals, believing the young lieutenant to have the makings of a grand leader.
Jota also seems to despise Adepts wasting their powers, and hates those who are unwilling to do anything with them. This often puts him at odds with the more pessimistic Viper. Jota also disapproves of what he considers "today's youth", despite that fact that he himself can be classed as said "youth".
Plot Role Edit
Other Appearances Edit
Jota is featured as the DLC boss of the revamped "Babel" stage, featuring the same attacks as in the first game.
Powers and Abilities Edit
As a human attuned to the Septimal stage of the Lifewave, Jota is a powerful adept capable of harnessing the septima known as Lightspeed, which, true to its name, allows him to control photons to manipulate light, similar to how Gunvolt can manipulate electrons to control lightning.
Much like Gunvolt can shift his body into electrons when performing Prevasion, Jota can shift his body into photons to move at the speed of light, potentially making him the fastest Adept alive. However, this power is not without its drawbacks.
Because Jota is moving faster than his thoughts can process, he cannot think during this time and can only move to places he has designated beforehand. Also, as he has no mass in this state, he cannot move and attack at the same time.
When activating his Glaive, Jota gains many more abilities. Jota can fly in the air at high speeds thanks to his rocket boots. In battle, Jota mainly fights with his five Photon Guns. The guns can fire lasers at opponents and can detach and transform into drills to attack enemies directly.
Jota also fights with wrist-mounted energy blades, using them primarily in his Flash Stinger skill. Jota is also skilled in swordplay, which is reflected in his Special Skill Phosphoratorium where he combines his Photon Guns into a gigantic blade and slashes forward, firing a wave of dark light and tearing a hole in space.
Luminous Rain Edit
降リ注グ光ノ御柱・ルミナスレイン、Downpour of Light Pillars / Luminous Rain
Jota's standard attack. Jota places his five laser bots at the four corners of the screen as well as an arbitrary point center-screen. The bots at the corners remain fixed in the direction they're facing, but the center bot rotates to track Gunvolt's location. Jota disappears from the screen after he has set all of the bots in place. The attack proceeds with the bots firing thin laser beams in the directions they're facing. At the conclusion of this attack, Jota reappears center-screen; at which time his bots fling themselves back onto the ring structure on his back.
- The laser bots deal contact damage.
- At battle phase one, the lasers always fires simultaneously.
- Starting with battle phase two, the lasers may fire one after the other in the order in which they were placed.
Calamity Ripper Edit
災禍ノ裂槍・カラミティリッパー、Shredding Spears of Calamity / Calamity Ripper
Jota's standard attack. Jota appears center-screen and shoots three laser bots in one lateral direction off-screen and two in the other direction off-screen. He then descends to the ground as the bots reappear at the sides of the screen. At the conclusion of this attack, Jota disappears from the screen as the laser bots turn into swirling lances and charge inward. The lances can be deflected if they come into contact with the Flashfield.
- Jota's defense increases while he is using this attack.
Judgement Ray Edit
煌ク断罪ノ滅光・ジャッジメントレイ、Glaring Condemnation of Ruinous Light / Judgement Ray
Jota begins using this attack at battle phase two. Jota begins the attack by forming mirages of himself at a position facing Gunvolt. He proceeds by appearing in place of his mirages and fires a barrage of lasers in the direction he is facing; the attack range covers any space above or in front of him.
- At battle phase two, his mirages' position remain fixed and so the direction of this attack is easily predictable.
- At battle phase three, his mirages shift their positions if Gunvolt runs behind them so as to place themselves at an ideal location where Jota can attack Gunvolt.
- Note: Gunvolt will not take contact damage from the mirages.
Flash Stinger Edit
影絶ツ閃光ノ牙・フラッシュスティンガー、Shadow-Severing Flash Fang / Flash Stinger
Jota begins using this attack at battle phase two. Jota appears one side of the screen facing Gunvolt; his laser bots form a V behind him and transform into swirling lances. Jota proceeds the attack by propelling himself off-screen with a piercing forward thrust; the bots follow suit. As with the Calamity Ripper, the lances can be deflected when they come into contact with the Flashfield.
終焉ノ光刃・ゼロブレイド、Light Blade of Demise / Zero Blade
"Blade within whose wake / Light declares us all condemned / Before we flicker out! Phosphoratorium!"
Jota's special attack. It’s a powerful attack which is based on altering to his needs a quantum mechanical idea.
This particular idea suggests that only what we observe through our naked eyes actually exists, and it acknowledges that “light” is what’s shaping the world.
Jota controls that “light” which shapes the world and, by turning it into zero, he can tear the world/space itself.
He appears on the edge of the screen facing Gunvolt. His laser bots then form a giant sword above Jota, who slashes it overhead to create a plane of dark light that spans the entire upper-half of the screen (the tear in the world/space).
Jota finishes the attack by propelling himself off-screen with a forward thrust.
- Contact with the dark light inflicts the Overheat status in addition to damage.
- Jota's defense increases while he is using this attack.
- While the attack at first glance seems unavoidable, you can slow his dash by spamming your pistol. This will buy enough time for the laser to fade, allowing you to safely jump over him. Also, there is a small window to avoid it at the beginning. If Gunvolt jumps over Jota at the very start of the attack, whilst the giant sword is still forming, Gunvolt can wait out the attack behind Jota (This gap was removed in his ASG2 DLC Stage). Alternatively, his tackle can be avoided by wearing the Chargeguard Pendant+ and performing a well-timed Recharge.
"My men warned me about a lightning wielding Adept. Seems like that was you. This is as far as you go, Gunvolt! I am Jota. Sumeragi's shining sentinel, defender of our nation's glory! This tower is a gallant symbol that spreads our message far and wide... I will not be defeated by traitorous scum like you!"
—Jota , meeting Gunvolt
"Sumeragi is the shining light that keeps this country safe! That's way I left the military and joined up with them! All for the glory and protection of my homeland!
—Jota , fighting Gunvolt
"Traitors like you will never understand. Prepare to be mesmerized... And blinded by my ultra high speed righteous light! They say the speed of light is pretty fast! But my light is even faster!
—Jota , boasting of his speed
"That's some big talk... However! You are waaay too slow, Gunvolt! You'll never be able to keep up with me!"
—Jota , continuing to gloat
"Not so fast... I'll be your next opponent!"
—Jota , after his resurrection
"If it's for Sumeragi's noble cause, then that's fine with me!"
—Jota , fighting Gunvolt once more
"Freedom...? Ha, nonsense!! 'Freedom' is what an enemy nation brings to the country it defeats!! It's just foolish adulation! Not that traitorous scum like you would understand! Adepts are like a bomb that is about to explode. This nation, no! This world is in peril! How many dangerous things do we face now?! Master Nova is in great distress over the future of our nation. If it's for my country, I will gladly give my life once again! I am light! I will illuminate this nation's future! I shall be it's sentinel! Trash like you who block out the light cast a dark shadow on us all! Drown in my radiance!
—Jota , explaining the danger facing the nation
- The seven featured Adept bosses are based on the seven deadly sins and an animal based on it. Jota represents pride and based on the Peacock.
- Despite pride being considered the most serious of sins, Jota is not the most powerful Swordsmen. That title likely goes to Zonda, who represents lust, which is ironically considered the least serious of the seven deadly sins.
- During battle, Jota will only appear on-screen to initiate, perform, or conclude at attack. The only other boss to do the same is Stratos.
- Upon the defeat of Jota, Copen will begin using the attack "Arrogant Radiance" in all subsequent battles.
- Jota is one of the two adept bosses that can be fought in the demo; the other is Viper.
- Jota is the oldest known member of Sumeragi at age 19.
- Official Artwork reveals that Jota is skilled in the art of swordplay.
- It's very possible his name was based on the Lamborghini Miura Jota, as all of Sumeragi's boss names also happen to be used in cars.
- According to an official height chart, Jota is 180cm (5'10") tall.
- Jota and Elise are the only Swordsmen who's primarily colour schemes are not traditionally associated with their respective sins. Pride is typically associated with purple, while Jota is primarily green, ironically associated with envy. Elise shares the same situation, but reversed.
Japanese version Edit
"Light is my ally!"
—Jota, Japanese Official Site
- Title: The Arrogant Afterglow (Silhouette Pride)
- ↑ Japanese Website Dossier
- ↑ English Website Dossier
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Skybane's Gunvault: Gunvolt Boss Damage Analysis by Saairan