"Come, Gunvolt! Fight me with all the strife in your heart! Give me strife! Victory! POOOWER!!
—Carrera , Azure Striker Gunvolt
Carrera, "The Magnetic Avarice", also known in Japan as "Magnet Greed", Carrera (欲深き磁界拳（マグネットグリード）カレラ, magunetto guriido Karera; Magnet Greed translating to Greedy Magnetic Field Fist) is a member of The Sumeragi Seven, a group of Adepts whom serve under Nova, and an antagonist in Azure Striker Gunvolt.
A fierce warrior and powerful adept, Carrera is driven by his desire to fight strong opponents and his never-ending lust for power.
He has an affinity for the Magnetic Arts Septima, which allows him to create powerful magnetic fields that can attract other Adepts to him as well as temporarily nullify their Septima.
English Website DescriptionEdit
Carrera is an adept assigned to Sumeragi’s Adept Hunter Unit who battles using his Magnetic Arts septimal power. Carrera lives for combat, and joined the unit for no other reason than being afforded the chance to battle with powerful adepts.
He speaks in an extremely formal, and extremely outdated “ye olde English” style, and always seems to have something to say about strength, battles with titans, and the like. In battle, he uses his septimal powers to create a magnetic field that attracts other adepts to him as if they were a hunk of metal.
This mysterious field also produces an effect that temporarily blocks the use of septimal powers. Naturally, Sumeragi took a keen interest in this ability and regularly brings Carrera along on capture missions to minimize the threat of other adepts.
The Glaive which holds his septimal power is known as the "Rockslicer."
Carrera is a teenager with orange eyes and short, white-blonde hair, with one massive cowlick protruding from the front. He wears a unique black and orange Sumeragi officers jacket with tailcoats. He also wears white baggy trousers and brown boots.
In his Weaponized form, Carrera gains black eyes with orange irises and darker yellow hair. The lower part of his face is covered by a black and white mask that resembles a mouth. His body is covered in black armour with yellowish orange highlights. His arms in particular have rather heavy armour, with orange spikes protruding from them.
Representing the sin greed, unlike most other Sumeragi adepts, Carrera openly admits he doesn't care for justice or national duty, joining the group for no other reason than to fight powerful Adepts. Obsessed with the art of combat, Carrera always demands an opponent's full strength when fighting them, not knowing the meaning of "holding back". Because of the nullifying effect his Septima has on other Adepts, he often gets an easy victory, thus, his search for a good fight is rarely sated. It is noted by Gunvolt that he is not inherently evil, just incredibly violent.
Despite this, Carrera does at least seem show respect to those who have proven themselves in his eyes. He also is quite formal, talking in a "ye olde English" style ("Samurai-style" Japanese in the Japanese version) that baffles the other characters.
Carrera's enthusiasm for battle is possibly a result of his insatiable lust for power, which, in his eyes, can only be obtained by fighting someone stronger than himself and slaughtering them. His obsession with power has reached a point where he believes that strength is what all men desire, causing Gunvolt to declare him as "empty" and "worthless".
Plot Role Edit
Carrera was originally from a battling family, where he combined martial arts with his Septima to create a self-taught art known as "Magnetic Arts".
After defeating several Dojo, he joined the Sumeragi Group, under the leadership of Nova, with the hope of battling powerful Adepts. Likely because of his ability to suppress other Adepts' Septima—which would advance Sumeragi's efforts to administrate the adept population—Carrera is assigned to Sumeragi's special Adept Hunter Unit.
Datastore (Spintronics) Edit
At the beginning of the story, Gunvolt frees Lumen from her forced role as Sumeragi's sonar in their project to locate and capture adepts throughout the world.
At some point in time afterwards, the resistance group QUILL sends protagonist Gunvolt on a mission to raid Sumeragi's datastore, which is used to store clinical information on every adept who has been recorded in Sumeragi's registry. Carrera, guarding th data bank, waits for Gunvolt within the main server room.
When the intruder arrives, Carrara rightfully assumes he is Gunvolt, who questions who he is. Carrera introduces himself, stating his orders are to defend the building, but claims no interest in justice, duty, small talk, instead only wanting to face a powerful foe. He then transforms with his Glaive, and attacks.
As the fight begins, Zeno, listening in, is perplexed by Carrera's old fashioned speech, and notes his enthusiasm for battle. Gunvolt says he has no time, and states he will not go easy, which is actually what Carrera wants, stating only his full strength is allowed, and wants to see the "true" Azure Striker. Gunvolt threatens to obliterate him, but Carrera just laughs, praising his rebuttal, and tells of how lively and euphoric he feels. He explains that his 18 year long life and interview with Sumeragi has paid off, admitting all he wants is power, which he believes will be obtained through defeating strong opponents, and demands Gunvolt give him strength. Disgusted by Carrera's hollow ambitions, Gunvolt manages to defeat and kill Carrera. He then goes to destroy the data, only to find the magnetism coming from both of them wiped it clean, so he immediately takes his leave.
Firmament (Azure) Edit
At some point in time after his demise at the datastore, Carrera is resurrected by Sumeragi's necromancer, Elise. He, along with Nova's other resurrected adepts, await Gunvolt's arrival at Sumeragi's orbital space station, Firmament, to subdue him in his efforts to topple Sumeragi.
After the fall of Nova, Gunvolt, having been resurrected by Joule, runs to Babel after Asimov. On the way, he bumps into Carrera, who once more challenges his foe to battle. Noticing Gunvolt's enhanced state, he merely gets even more excited, and attacks Gunvolt again.
Gunvolt is even more apathetic about the fight than before, much to Carrera's amusement. Joule reassures him that he is safe with her power, something Carrera overhears. Confused, he demands to know who is with Gunvolt, who doesn't respond. In the end, Carrara throws his concerns away, and once more demands Gunvolt give him his full strength. In the end, The Magnetic Avarice is slain once more, and Gunvolt resumes his pursuit of Asimov.
Carrera appears as the DLC boss of the Virtuality stage, featuring upgraded attacks from the first game.
Carrera appears as a collectible pixel sticker that can be obtained in the stage "Oil Platform".
Powers and Abilities Edit
As a human attuned to the Septimal stage of the Lifewave, Carrera is a powerful Adept who wields the unique Magnetic Arts Septima, which allows him to create powerful magnetic fields that can attract other Adepts and things to him as though they were metal, as well as nullifying their Septima temporarily by scattering it across the air. Carrera can also detonate his magnetic fields to cause damaging explosions.
By manipulating electromagnetic fields, Carrera can pull himself towards walls or hover by reversing magnetic polarity. He can also use his magnetism to manipulate metal, creating a large fist made of metal and can use it to control his magnetic fists to grab and attack opponents from a distance.
Because of the electromagnetic properties of Azure Thunderclap, many of Gunvolt's attacks have the side effect of empowering that of Carrera's, or making the Azure Striker easier to draw in.
By rebounding the magnetism covering his body and the magnetism applied to the ground he can make his body hover. He can also do the inverse: by pulling the magnetism applied to the walls he can move at high-speed.
Carrera himself is also quite physically strong, the sheer force of his blows causing debris to fall from the ceiling.
It's implied that Magnetic Arts has the ability to outright suction an Adepts septima. However, given Carrera’s personality, though, he’s unable to control his power in a way precise enough to accomplish such a feat.
Carrera's standard attack. Carrera crouches forward and creates a magnetic field across from him. He then propels himself forward and tackles the wall in front of him, causing debris to fall from the ceiling. Gunvolt can use his Flashfield to protect him from the falling debris.
- In Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, more debris falls when Carrera hits the wall.
Binding Might Edit
Carrera's standard attack. Carrera positions himself at the center of the floor. He releases his magnetic fists—both of which move to the upper corners of the screen—and hovers mid-air. The magnetic fists, one at a time, then perform a sweeping grab at Gunvolt.
- If one of the fists successfully grabs Gunvolt, it will position itself and Gunvolt directly underneath Carrera. Carrera then creates a magnetic field below him and propels a slamming attack into the ground. The impact creates a V-shaped explosion.
- If neither of the fists grab Gunvolt, then they will remain at the sides of the screen as Carrera proceeds with his slamming attack. Contact with the fists or explosions will inflict damage.
- Starting at battle phase two, if neither of the fists are able to grab Gunvolt, then they may float to the top corners of the screen again to perform a second attempt at grabbing him. Carrera will follow-up with his slam attack if both attempts fail.
- In Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, pieces of scrap fly from the fists when they fly up. The fists themselves move slightly faster.
Metallic Fist Edit
電磁加速拳、Electromagnetic Acceleration Fist
Carrera begins using this attack at battle phase two. Carrera positions himself at one of the very ends of the screen and begins charging a magnetic ball of energy. Debris will be sucked into the energy ball during this process; the debris inflicts contact damage which can be blocked with the Flashfield. Carrera then throws a punch that releases the energy as a magnified, energized emanation of his fist. If Gunvolt shocks Carrera with the Flashfield during the charge-up, it will make the fist larger and make it explode upon colliding with a wall, sending junk projectiles outwards.
- Carrera's defense increases while he is using this attack.
- In Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, Carrera's basic Metallic Fist is now the upgraded one. If Gunvolt or Copen shocks him, then there will be many more pieces of junk that will fly outwards, leaving only a small area to dodge.
Quasar Collapse Edit
超重磁爆星、Super-Heavy Magnetic Exploding Star
"Greedy arms reach out / To possess all within sight / Their grasp an awful vice! Quasar Collapse!"
Carrera's special attack. Carrera creates a great magnetic field at the center of the screen that pulls in Gunvolt as it propagates outward. While the field does not deal contact damage, it will inflict the chaff status if touched. Once the field reaches its maximum size, Carrera detonates the field, creating a colossal explosion.
- The great magnetic field will pull in Gunvolt at a greater strength and speed than usual while he is activating his Flashfield or jumps.
- Carrera's defense increases while he is using this attack.
- In Azure Striker Gunvolt 2, the magnetic field is centred of the opposite side to Carrera, forcing the player to run towards him. On top of that, the field now draws in a spiral of scrap metal, which can only be blocked by the Flashfield.
- Blocking the scrap metal is much easier as Copen, as his Flashfield activates automatically (provided he has full weapon energy) and doesn't draw him in.
"Thou art Gunvolt, I presume."
—Carrera , meeting Gunvolt
"I am Carrera, The Magnetic Fist. My orders are to protect the premises. I hath no interest in duty, justice or small talk. I only seek to do battle with a formidable foe..."
—Carrera , introducing himself
"Good! That's just what I want! Only thine unbridled fighting spirit is permissible! No less! I with to see the 'true' Azure Striker! Show me what thou art made of!"
—Carrera , fighting Gunvolt
"Hahaha! An excellent rebuttal! Truly grand! A cataclysm of Septimas! This is a true duel! My blood is pumping like mad! A first of it's kind sensation... Tis pure euphoria!"
—Carrera , ecstatic over his fight
"Aye, my desire for revenge could no longer be bound! I wish to engage in battle with me who defeated me once more! Something about thee is peculiar. Ye before me resembles an angry deity! Yes, I can feel it! Your Septimal power is mighty! I shall enjoy this... Now, let us knock on death's door with reckless abandon!"
—Carrera , facing Gunvolt a second time
"Nwahahaha! As reserved as ever, I see! That being the case, come best me in combat if you dare!"
—Carrera , fighting once more
"Hm? Is that a dame's voice? What's this?! You fiend! Who is there with you?"
—Carrera , hearing Joule's voice
- The seven featured Adept bosses are based on the seven deadly sins and an animal based on it. Carrera represents greed and based on the Hedgehog.
- Carrera is one of two known members of Sumeragi's Adept Hunter Unit. The other is Zonda.
- Carrera's greed is much more specific that most other characters based off the sin, with his desire seemingly focused only on obtaining physical power, whereas most other greed based characters have broader interests encompassing a whole spectrum of desires at once.
- However, in the original English script, Carrera does state that he seeks to possess "everything".
- Carrera is one of three bosses who has the ability to inflict the chaff debuff.
- Upon the defeat of Carrera, Copen will begin using the attack "Power Grab" in all subsequent battles.
- The names of Nova and The Sumeragi Seven are all derived from luxury cars. Carrera's name is taken from the Porsche Carrera.
- According to an official height chart, Carrera is 200cm (6'6") tall, making him the tallest character in the entire series.
- Carrera is the only Swordsmen who had yet to appear or be mentioned in a Drama CD.
- Carrera is the only boss to be refought after Nova is defeated, and as such is also the only boss that may not be refought if the player has not obtained all seven jewels as well as the Handmade Necklace by extension.
Japanese version Edit
"I shall twist and crush thou lightning with my magnetic fists!!"
—Carrera, Japanese Official Site
- Title: The Greedy Magnetic Field Fist (Magnet Greed)